Review - Fraction of Stone, by Kelley Lynn

I read Fraction of Stone by Kelley Lynn as part of my To Be Read Challenge, since it's been on my Kindle for a year now.


Wind tunnels, torrential rains and earthquakes tear apart Casden. The cause of the world’s imbalance is unknown, but the mounting occurrences suggest there’s little time before life ceases to exist.

Rydan Gale and Akara Nazreth are the only humans with the ability to wield magic. The tattoo on their necks and the discovery of an ancient book, dictate they are the key to the world’s survival.

But the greatest obstacle for saving mankind isn’t the bizarre creatures, extreme betrayals and magic-fearing men hunting them.

It’s that Akara doesn’t believe the world is worth saving.


I really don't know why it took me so long to read this book. My favourite aspect was the character development, which was done perfectly. I loved seeing both of the main characters development throughout the book. 

Akara is the character who goes through the most change throughout the story. She starts off completely shut off to the world, wanting only to escape it. By the end of the book she has really opened up, especially to Rydan, who helps her to learn that not everyone in the world is bad. 

Rydan also grew as a character. At the beginning of the story he has no idea what is really going on, or who he really is. By the end, he finally sees the world for what it is, and understands his place in it. He grows up. 

I loved the plot - it kept me hooked, always wanting to know what would happen next. Another plus is that the story involves magic, which I love both reading and writing about. I loved that the characters were trying to save the world despite the way they have been treated, and despite their misgivings about the people they're trying to save. They're trying to save the world because they know it's the right thing to do, and, of course, for each other. 

I give Fraction of Stone 4 stars - it's well worth a read. 

Comments

  1. Kelley will be happy to see that review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this book is on my Kindle, too. So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Character development is so important. Readers seem to enjoy a book where they can understand their characters more. Thanks for the thoughtful review. Sounds like a good book, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Miss Laura, as you know I am more a write person than a read person . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you enjoyed it. I also gave Kelley's book a positive review last year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sold me. I just went to Amazon and bought it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEP August - Change of Heart

IWSG - July 2018

The Beginnings Blogfest!