Remembrance Day

To commemorate Remembrance day, I thought I'd put a war poem up on each of my blogs. I picked poems that I remember studying at college, my favourites. Someone on my facebook posted the poem "In Flanders Fields" which is what gave me the idea in the first place, and reminded me how much I love that poem, so I decided to put it up on my other blog here.
For this blog, I found another poem which I love, having studied it in college as well; The Soldier by Rupert Brooke.

If I should die, think only this of me:
That there’s some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England. There shall be
In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,
Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam,
A body of England’s, breathing English air,
Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.

And think, this heart, all evil shed away,
A pulse in the eternal mind, no less
Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;
Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;
And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,
In hearts at peace, under an English heaven.

I think War poetry is some of the most moving literature out there, so I hope you like the poems I chose. Nobody should ever forget the soldiers who have died for their country. 

Comments

  1. This poem is absolutely incredible, what a moving tribute to a seriously worthwhile cause. I've read some great poems this morning, some that have made me laugh and feel very emotional, this is one of the best of them I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favourites, I love how peaceful it is despite the dark subject matter.

      Delete
  2. A moving, poignant tribute to those who fought for us and our future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard that poem before but it's absolutely beautiful

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEP August - Change of Heart

IWSG - July 2018

The Beginnings Blogfest!